Today in math, we began our third grade fraction unit. Students began thinking about way to fairly share brownies. Using their own inquisitive math minds, students began making connections way beyond the teacher's expectations! The following statements were made by students during the work period and/or closing session:
- "I noticed that the more people you have to share the brownie with, the smaller each person's brownie will be!"
- "I noticed that 4/4 (four fourths) is equal to one whole!"
- "When the numerator is the same as the denominator, the fraction is equal to one whole!"
- "One-eighth is half of one-fourth!"
- "I can use multiplication to help represent all of the eighths that equal one whole. For example, 8 x 1/8 = 1."
|This chart was made during our closing session based on what the students noticed during the work session.|
|This is the Student Sheet that the students worked on during the work session. The yellow pieces represent a brownie cut into fractional pieces.|